Monday, May 1, 2017

A Story from @ksigler!

To help celebrate Chimp and See's 2nd anniversary, we asked our volunteers to share their personal stories, memories, and anniversary wishes for the blog. Today's volunteer story is from @ksigler:



On Chimp and See, you know me as ksigler.  My real name is Kris.

I'd like to say... I live in Maryland, USA, about an hour northwest of Washington, DC.  Professionally, I've spent a lot of my life being a techie down in the city, but at home, I'm a wildlife-loving country girl.  I found Zooniverse and Chimp & See a couple of years ago when I felt compelled to start making a difference with my life.  Citizen science offered plenty of opportunities to dabble in my science and history interests, and of all my projects, Chimp & See captured my heart and mind the most.  Partially because of all the fascinating and adorable animals, like Sugar, one of my first namees.  However, it has also truly been one of the most rewarding activities of my entire life, and here's why...

First, it has my favorite nerdy things, like scientific research, detective work, intellectual discussions, and data analysis.  Second, it's also like a live-action hidden object game, interwoven with dialogue-free mini soap operas ripe for "caption this" fun.  Third, it has a wonderful, diverse community.  As an introvert, I was reluctant to get involved in Talk at first.  But everyone here is so nice and supportive of one another, and we accomplish so much as a team, it's hard to believe this is on the internet!

Finally (gonna get deep here for a minute), this project has helped me appreciate more of what's going on around me and around the world.  Baba Dioum's famous statement has always resonated with and motivated me: "In the end we will conserve only what we love, we will love only what we understand, and we will understand only what we are taught."  Chimp & See literally covers all of those in one place, for chimpanzees, other wildlife, and even us humans.  Each "Oh, really? I didn't know that!" moment of growth is like magic.  I feel fortunate and proud to be a part of a project spreading so much magic around the world.  Happy Anniversary, Chimp & See!


Thanks (me, I guess? :-P) and all our volunteers for making C&S such a special project!  See you tomorrow for another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment