Thursday, April 27, 2017

A Story from @vestigial!

To help celebrate Chimp and See's 2nd anniversary, we asked our volunteers to share their personal stories, memories, and anniversary wishes for the blog. Today's volunteer story is from @vestigial:


On Chimp and See, you know me as vestigial.  My real name is Chris.

I'd like to say... I volunteer at the National Zoo with the primate program and I'm familiar with the problems facing wildlife there due to habitat loss. Because of that, I'm used to thinking of Asian elephants as wandering around through dense forested areas. I was not, however, used to seeing African elephants in forests. I guess because in the documentaries and things I've seen African elephants are always in herds near waterholes or on big dusty plains. Chimp and See was the first place I'd every seen videos of huge African elephants moving through dense forests while trying to negotiate steep slopes. While not as graceful on those slopes as they seem on the plains, it was impressive how well they blended in. They would just suddenly appear from the trees. It's hard to imagine such a large animal being hidden from view so easily and made me understand better when the locals talk about being careful when moving through the forest because you could suddenly come across a very large animal.


Thanks, Chris, and all our volunteers for making C&S such a special project! See you tomorrow for another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment