Sunday, April 30, 2017

A Story from @paleosue!

To help celebrate Chimp and See's 2nd anniversary, we asked our volunteers to share their personal stories, memories, and anniversary wishes for the blog. Today's volunteer story is from @paleosue:



On Chimp and See, you know me as paleosue.  My real name is Sue Ruth.

I'd like to say... My name is Sue and I am an archaeologist and community college teacher living in New Mexico. I got hooked on Chimp & See shortly after it started up about 2 years ago. Since then I have told anyone who will listen and even those who won't about the project.

Each semester I take my anthropology students on a virtual field trip to Africa and I show them how to record the animals, especially the primates, hoping to spark that same feeling of wonder and amazement I feel when I find something interesting. So moderators, if there is ever a flood of weird identifications that lasts about an hour, that's probably us.

My favorite moment was getting to name a one-tusked warthog, ACP0006lto. I will be forever grateful to Snorticus, who suggested that I get to name him since I happened to tag him first. The warthog is now "Leroy" after my late father-in-law, who I think would be glad that there is warthog somewhere in West Africa named in his honor.

It's funny, but I now find myself perfectly at home in the forests of Africa.


Thanks, Sue, and all our volunteers for making C&S such a special project! See you tomorrow for another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment