Monday, April 24, 2017

A Story from @Boleyn!

To help celebrate Chimp and See's 2nd anniversary, we asked our volunteers to share their personal stories, memories, and anniversary wishes for the blog.  Today's volunteer story is from @Boleyn:



On Chimp and See, you know me as Boleyn.  My real name is Heidi Pfund.

I'd like to say... It all started with a podcast

After a phantastic safari through Botswana I was missing the wildlife dearly. Henry, my partner, had pity on me and told me of a podcast where they introduced "Snapshot Serengeti", another Zooniverse project. I literally jumped on it and was hardly to seperate from my screen in my spare time. But alas! After about 5 weeks of frantic classification, they run out of pictures. I was on cold turkey! No more animals, no more fun.

Salvation came with a mail from Zooniverse, asking the volunteers to check out Chimpandsee. And there were even videos not only pictures! So many lovely animals to study in their living environment, including the occasional chimp. I was in heaven!

That's almost two years since. Over the time I got more and more involved with these adorable, interesting apes and I wouldn't want to miss them anymore. The matching, comparing and discussing serves my liking for detective work. And now we are even able to match leopards. How great is this?

Today I just classified my 18'000 video at C&S. How did @squish5 say: That's a lot of duikers. But hell, I love every little flapper - they take me easily back to Africa every single day I like!

Images from ChimpandSee.org


Thanks, Heidi, and all our volunteers for making C&S such a special project!  See you tomorrow for another story!

(If you would like to submit your own, there's still time!  Just submit this form by Wednesday, 4/26.)

No comments:

Post a Comment